SESSION 3a. Summit Page.
“Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.” – Marianne Williamson (excerpt from Return To Love)
“If we choose leaders based on charisma rather than character, why then are we surprised when we end up with that kind of leadership.”
“Leadership is not money, fame, power. Leadership is responsibility.” – Peter Drucker
20th century leadership was characterized by command and control.
WHY IS LEADERSHIP IN 21ST CENTURY DIFFERENT THAN THE 20TH?
1. We have knowledge workers; people in organizations who know more than their bosses.
2. People are looking for meaning and significance in their work.
A NEW DEFINITION OF 21ST CENTURY LEADERSHIP.
1. Align leaders around common goals and values.
2. Empower others to rise up and lead. The job of the leader is not to get people to follow you.
3. Serve. We no longer live in a “command and control” culture of leadership.
4. Collaborate. We must connect ourselves to others in partnership to ensure that the goals are met.
“Wherever you go, you always take yourself with you.”
“Leadership is lonely.”
THINK ABOUT THE END OF YOUR LIFE.
What did you do that made a difference in your life? And that ability is in everyone. Do you believe that? And the greatest fulfillment is in empowering people to make a difference.
(impromptu interview with Bill Hybels)
WHY DO PEOPLE LOSE THEIR WAY?
People do not fail at leading others, they fail at leading themselves. They’re not well-grounded. No one can ask more of you than what you are.
“Shooting-stars” put everything into their work, but they have no life, family, faith, etc. That’s when you begin to lose your way.
WHAT ABOUT WENDY [KOPP] DO YOU ADMIRE?
She stuck with it. Why? She forgot about the critics, and remembered the faces of the children.